by Peter Panhandler
Boys and girls, Summer is officially here. You know that means the SLUG Magazine Summer of Death contest series is on. The first contest was held at the OGIO warehouse mini-ramp in beautiful Bluffdale, UT. The event went as smooth as possible and had a nice backyard-jam atmosphere. It was great to beat the heat in a nice air-conditioned warehouse equipped with bean bags for everybody. There were free hamburgers and hot dogs grilled up by OGIO's best looking employees. Sure, you may have tasted one of Pouch's chest hairs, but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Last but not least, there were hottie RED BULL chicks getting everyone high on life and full of taurine. Here are the highlights for those of you who couldn't afford gas.
13. Only three contestants in the beginner category. I think these guys were all best friends by the way they were slapping each high-fives. "Trick love the kids..."
12. Arizona homies were in the house. New Mexican homies in the house. San Diego homie in the house. No name dropping kids; learn you lesson now before you get shook.
11. Seeing James Atkin go off the snowboard jump into the foam pit. Stick to the streets kids ... the world isn't ready for the next Way or Burnquist. You do have a better-looking wife than both those old farts.
10. Binay Brock holding down the MC position. Dave Duncan and Clyde Singleton got no skills compared this dude. Thanks homie.
9. Andy Pitts loaning a bunch of boxes and flatbars so there was a little street sesh in the parking lot. Thanks homie.
8. Christian Sevelke doing a four foot method air the spine seriously tweaked. My back hurt just watching that shit kid.
7. Mark White completely destroying the ramp. Bean plant to fakie on the new wall ride extension. Leaving after his first run.
6. DJ Chavez skating the ramp below the coping and still looking cooler than everybody else. You should do an instructional video on style and flare. Now that shit's hot.
5. Jordan Williams getting wrecked on a backside D on the extension. Basically it was yard sale. Thanks for sweeping the ramp with your clothes.
4. Lizard King just being Lizard. You're good at that, stick with it.
3. Adam Dyet getting a frontside flip to smith stall on the new extension. This guy can't go anywhere without doing the most amazing thing ever. Pro status.
2. Matt Kriegel straight off the plane from San Diego to first place I guess when you're a Washington Street local, a mini-rampis just a joke. His almost flawless last run with the hardest tricks of the day. Blunt to fackie on wall extension. Frontside blunts on lock and he kickflipped to wallride second try on the extension. Plus he skates twice as fast as you do.
1. Erik Lopez winning the best trick contest on the hand rail. Switch backside flip to 5-0 while giving Bob Plumb a hand job.
Thanks to everyone who participated, helped set up or just came to watch. A good time was had by all. Special thanks to Freddy from Think! for flying-out with his good looks. And extra special thanks to Pouch and Andy Donahue for manning the hot grill, cleaning up everything and working some serious over time. These guys deserve a raise for sure.
Stay tuned for SLUG's August issue for more info on the next SOD contest (Aug. 19th suckas) and the secret location.