Reports to: Executive Editor, Managing Editor, Community Development Team
Employment type: Part-time ( 15 hours a week max)
We like SLUGMag.com the way we like our leather jackets: functional and attractive. We have a lot of ideas that we can’t wait to set into motion, and we need a WordPress wizard who can collide the art of design with the alchemy of programming. We’re looking for a candidate who’s ready and equipped to whip up some digital magic and invite users in to explore all things Salt Lake UnderGround—in the dot-com realm.
- Edit, maintain and improve WordPress template files, custom post types, plugins and the website theme
- Edit, maintain and improve our custom SLUG theme
- Work with the team to diagnose and resolve bugs and support requests
- Improve website speed and optimize website performance
- Organize template files and optimize WordPress backend UI
- Maintain website backups on a regular schedule
- Improve security protocols for the website
- Use Google Analytics to track SLUGMag.com site traffic and trends
- Develop SEO strategies to increase organic traffic to SLUGMag.com
- Solve coding issues and optimize coding updates on SLUGMag.com
- Maintain website hosting: domain and SSL certificate
Desired Program Knowledge:
- Knowledge of PHP and WordPress. ( Other well-known CMS such as Joomia or Drupal are allowed for consideration. )
- Google Analytics, SEO (Yoast SEO Plugin for WordPress)
- Doubleclick for Publishers
- Understanding of WordPress’s: updating Child Theme, Action / Filter Hooks, add / update plugins, Advanced Custom Fields, content page looping.
- Able to write HTML, PHP or a similar backend language.
- Basic knowledge of how WordPress should be edited for all users.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with others
- Capable of balancing detail-oriented work with important project milestones
- Program-learner with ability to adapt and teach others new software protocols
- Constantly learning and understanding best code practices to benefit all users.
- SLUG Magazine* fosters a highly skilled, creative, energized and empowered workforce.
This is a mostly Front-End Developer position with some basic back-end responsibilities and knowledge.
Compensation is an hourly rate and is discussed at time of interview and based on knowledge and experience.
This is a part-time position. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org; Attn: Angela H. Brown. Please, no phone calls.