[Posted January 20, 2014]
When dealing with a climate which can only be described as bi-polar there are two things that are essential: food and liquor. Our local food and drink gurus grace us with their presence and share the best places to drink and eat away your seasonal depression on episode 133 of SLUG Soundwaves.
– With 85+ sushi joints in the valley, tracking down the best can be a daunting task but thankfully, we have Jeffery from Yelp to do all the hard work for us. Jeffery knows where to find the tastiest and freshest raw fish dishes here in Salt Lake and we were lucky enough to have him stop by the studio to impart his food-wisdom upon us.
– Tolchock Trio, contradictory to their name, were a local four piece who in their 13 years saw a lot of line up changes but managed to break the “Salt Lake Curse” and remain together after gaining popularity. Each member continues to please the Salt Lake masses through a different medium these days as they are all working in the local food industry at fine establishments such as Eva and Takashi. Check out the track, “Hornets” from their 2005 release, Ghosts Don’t Have Bones on this episode of Soundwaves.
– Need some feel good tunes? Wildcat Strike are a group of dudes who pour their time and souls into music and it’s hard not to notice the passion they have when it comes to life through their work. Their self-titled debut is marked with pleasant piano and dreamy guitar, but don’t forget that these guys still know how to rock and roll when you listen to their song, “Beer Pressure.”
– Here at SLUG we’re thankful to have Mike Riedel to tell us what to drink. Golden ales, stouts and IPAs, whatever the beverage he has had it and is ready to tell us what he thinks. With local breweries ramping up production to keep us happy during the dreary winter days Mike shares some of his favorites, such as The Hive Winery’s raspberry hard cider and Bohemian’s Smoked Helles.
Episode #127 – The Hive Collective, Fossil Arms, Ryan Hudson, The Circulars, Beer News with Mike Riedel
[Posted December 9, 2013]
Dan is back! No need to fret any longer, let his soothing, sensual voice take you on a voyage through this episode of Soundwaves From The Undergound.
– The Hive Collection is a group that understands the power of collaboration and have decided to embrace it fully. DJ Decay speaks about this melting pot of filmmakers, DJs, programmers and other electronic and visual entertainers and the performances they have been creating for Salt Lake’s event goers.
– Dirty, gritty, lo-fi, blown out and dark only scratches the surface when describing Fossil Arms. This local music duo creates fuzzy, desolate tracks that are teeming with emotion and are guaranteed to have you and your friends gazing at the floor at the next house party/show.
– Ryan Hudson says that “snowboarding is an internal battle, progression is all internal.” Ryan shares how he grew up living in severe poverty on the streets of San Diego until he was introduced to the mountains through a youth actions sports program. Since then he moved to Utah for the snow, started shredding and hasn’t looked back since.
– The Circulars are a band of musicians who have surrounded themselves with music and people who play it and they find that it is what inspires them the most. Like a slice of 1980s pop-goth gold, this band creates dreamy, dreary jams that draw you in for a ride and leave you wanting more.
– ‘Tis the season… for beer drinkin’! Ales, bocks, holiday seasonals and even a beer that kind of tastes like pizza, SLUG’s beer aficionado has you covered on this year’s local Christmas-time brewskis.
Episode #113 – Beer News with Mike Riedel, Parlor Hawk, Yelp, Coral Bones, Fall films with Jimmy Martin
[Posted September 2, 2013]
On this week’s episode, our fearless host Dan Nailen takes the reigns for all three interviews. First up, SLUG’s own been columnist Mike Riedel drops by to talk about the latest beer combinations hitting late summer; Jeffery Steadman from Yelp will pop in to talk about the best BBQ in the valley; and SLUG’s film critic Jimmy Martin visits the Soundwaves studio to talk about the movies coming out this Fall. Plus, hear brand new music from local bands Parlor Hawk and Coral Bones. Jeffrey Steadman from Yelp will be returning to the podcast in a few weeks to talk about the best spots in the River District, and we want to hear your thoughts on the subject. Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your thoughts. You may get played on the show! … read more
[Posted July 29, 2013]
On this week's episode, Salt Lake Comic Con founder Dan Farr drops by to chat with our host Dan Nailen about the upcoming convention; SLUG Writer Tim Kronenberg chats with Terry J. Mitchell in the Soundwaves Studio about her art exhibition revolving around the 33-year-old racist serial killings at Liberty Park; and then our host Dan chats with SLUG beer columnist Mike Riedel about the latest brews and Epic's new brewpub! Plus, we bid farewell to Tolchock Trio and check out new music from electro-pop band Mideau. Craft Lake City is quickly coming upon us, and we’d like to hear what you’re excited to see at the festival this year. Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your thoughts. You may get played on the show! … read more
[Posted June 17, 2013]
On this week's episode, SLUG writer Tim Kronenberg chats with the organizers of the Beard & Mustache Championships happening at Piper Down this week; our host Dan Nailen chats with Jay Yahne of the Hive Winery about their business and their latest cider; and SLUG's beer critic, Mike Riedel, drops in to talk about the latest beer news as well as local winners from the Mountain Brewers Fest. Plus, we preview Crucial Fest with INVDRS and the latest album from Pink Lightning. Jeffrey Steadman from Yelp will be back in the studio next week, talking Tibetan food, and weâ€™d like to hear what your favorite places to grab a bite are. Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your thoughts. You may get played on the show! … read more
[Posted April 29, 2013]
On this week's episode of the podcast, SLUG writer Megan Kennedy pulls double-duty, first by interviewing the curator of the new Urban Arts Gallery, Cat Palmer; and then talking with Mimi Cruz of Night Flight Comics about Free Comic Book Day; while our host Dan Nailen sits down with Mike Riedel to talk beer news including the opening of Vernal's first brew pub. Plus, brand new music from Visitors and a track from IX Zealot. Mike Brown will be back to talk about the Utah Jazz and their failed attempt to make it to the playoffs. Weâ€™d like to hear your thoughts on the â€™12-â€™13 season and your own questions for Mike to answer. Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your thoughts. You may get played on the show! … read more
[Posted October 22, 2012]
This week we bid our dear friend and host JP a fond farewell on his last episode of the podcast and welcome in our new host, Dan Nailen. We also have SLUG writer Mariah Mellus chatting with dancer and choreographer Monica Campbell; Dan sits down with local beer blogger Mike Riedel to talk the latest beer news; and SLUG's Contributing Editor Ricky Vigil chats with rapper P.O.S. on the phone about his new album. Plus, brand new music from SLC rock bands PTO and Danger Hailstorm. Jeffrey Steadman from Yelp will be dropping by soon to talk about Thanksgiving food, and weâ€™d like to hear what your favorite holiday dish is somewhere around the city. Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your thoughts. You may get played on the show! … read more