Make some new friends this November with these carefully curated bombs that we’ll call the Beehive Boilermakers & Bombs, all featuring local spirits and beers.

Beehive Boilermakers and Bombs

Beer & Spirits

Boilermakers and bombs are an unexpected surprise because it sounds like a terrible idea but almost always turns out to be a lot of fun. On one occasion, sitting in a bar in Chicago, I was watching Northwestern softball with the other patrons when the Wildcats scored a run. Without any warning, a half glass of Guinness and a full shot of whiskey appeared before me with the inclination that I was to “pound.” Before I knew it, I had found six or seven new best friends! Now you can, too, with these carefully curated bombs that we’ll call the Beehive Boilermakers & Bombs.

Flaming Dirty Dr. Swig 

• 8 oz Level Crossing Brewing Co. Jazz Loon Pilsner
  • .5 oz coconut flavoring (or coconut rum)
  • 1.5 oz Beehive Distilling Paradox Amaro
  • .25 oz Simplicity Cocktails Bourbon 

Pour beer into a tall glass with coconut. Pour amaretto into a shot glass with a bourbon floater, light the bourbon on fire, say a prayer and dunk it in the beer while you hope that Swig someday goes adult. The first time you take this shot, you will be blown away. The whole combination tastes just like Dr. Pepper, and we’ve tailored this one just for us Utahns.

The Uinta Heater 

• 3 oz High West Distillery Campfire Whiskey
  • .75 oz Irish cream
  • 8 oz T.F. Brewing Delmar Imperial Stout 

You’re going to need a camp cup for this plus a tumbler. Pour the whiskey in the tumbler with an Irish cream floater, dunk into the beer and drink it down. For a true Uinta heater, get rid of the Irish cream and do 3.5 oz whiskey into a full 16 oz Delmar and sip. That should keep you warm, even in the godforsaken Uintas. If you’re feeling really cold, rank it up to a Epic’s Big Bad Baptist or another barrel-aged stout. 

The Bitter Hipster 

• 1.5 oz Dented Brick Distillery Roofraiser Vodka
  • .5 oz Aperol
  • .5 tablespoon local honey
  • 12 oz Uinta Brewing Co. Trader IPA

Measure vodka, Aperol and honey into a shaker with one large cube of ice. Shake until cold. Pour beer into a shaker and strain into a large glass. The sweetness of the honey will balance the Aperol and beer, but the bitterness will remain. This is a great one to sip on, but could be done as a bomb if you’re feeling held down by the man (and your skinny jeans).

Sugarhouse Rum Runner 

• 1 oz Outlaw Distillery Vanilla Bean Rum
  • 1 oz Outlaw Distillery Moonshine
  • .5 oz banana liqueur
  • .5 oz simple syrup
  • blackberries
  • 12 oz Shades Brewing Pina Colada

Muddle the blackberries with the simple syrup in a shaker. Add ice, banana liqueur and both rums. Shake until cold then strain into a tall glass, add pina colada and stir. Garnish with pineapple wedge. The fruitiness and sourness of the beer mesh really well with the sweetness of the rum. Feel free to substitute any berry in there for the blackberries. This is a full-on, pinky-out pool beverage. 

The M.A.V. Bomb 

• 1.5 oz Porter’s Whiskeys Rye
  • 2 dashes Honest John Bitters Co. Orange Bitters
  • 8 oz Wasatch Brewery Nitro Polygamy Porter

Classic bomb. Pour rye into a shot glass, add bitters to the bottom of a glass, then pour the beer in and wait for it to do its thing. The roasty porter flavors along with nitro pour make for a great bomb combination. The bitters go well with the rye and create an amazing drink.

Read more about beer-infused cocktails here:
You Can Lei Low at SLUG Mag’s Brewstillery