If you are interested in applying for this position, fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
SLUG Magazine is looking for a new volunteer intern to join our office team!
SLUG Magazine Design Internships provide budding designers with professional experience. From the ins and outs of design workflow within an editorial organization to the points and picas of asset creation, SLUG design internships offer invaluable experience through an independent publication with roots in Utah’s music, arts, lifestyle and local events.
This position is 10 hours a week with a one year commitment.
Intern Title: Design Intern
Department: Community Development
Reports to: Executive Editor, Community Development Manager, Events Coordinator.
Commitment: One year, 10 hours/week
- Assisting the Events Coordinator and lead designer in generating social media–bound content for the promotion of SLUG-produced events
- Assisting the Events Coordinator and Lead Designer with the design of promotional material for SLUG events
- Assist the Events Coordinator and Lead Designer in designing marketing materials for recruiting for SLUG’s volunteer marketing team
- Create page layouts for the magazine
- Assist in production of the issue from month to month.
- Currently a sophomore or higher working toward a degree in graphic design or self taught with a strong portfolio.
- Passionate about the Salt Lake City art scene
- Knowledgeable of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- Knows Google suite (Drive, G-docs, G-sheets)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to take constructive feedback
- Agile design problem-solving skills
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Familiar with design standards for both web and print materials
- Good grammar and copy-editing skills
- The ideal candidate should be personable, responsible and knowledgeable about SLUG Magazine and local Salt Lake City culture.
When you join our design team, you will:
- Get real-world experience laying out and designing editorial content that will be published every month and credited to your name.
- Add projects and editorial layouts to your portfolio.
- Network and work with a wide range of local designers, musicians, writers and illustrators who help shape the look and feel of the magazine and even Salt Lake City itself.
- Be able to participate in exclusive SLUG events.
- Gain knowledge of how to prepare files to be printed in a wide range of applications, such as screen printing, web CMYK press, professional inkjet printing, laser and die cut.
- Apply lessons learned in class and learn about how the publishing industry actually works.
This opportunity is a great resume-builder that can earn you some real experience working on a design team.
The positions we are offering are on a volunteer basis, but there are additional perks to being a team member.
SLUG Mag is always open to helping you receive college credit for the internship. We are not affiliated with any colleges but encourage you to ask your department advisor about receiving school credit, and will assist in any way we can.
SLUG Magazine fosters a highly skilled, creative, energized and empowered team. This is a volunteer internship position.