Color the Wasatch: Diversifying Climbing

Activism, Outreach and Education

Carlos Vizcarra sits in front of a climbing wall.
Carlos Vizcarra envisions a future where people of color can feel comfortable participating in the sport. Photo: Katarina Duerr

Rock climbing can be an intimidating sport to make your way into, even more so when spaces do not feel inclusive or welcoming. It’s easy to recognize that rock climbing is a predominantly white sport, and Utah’s more general lack of diversity provides obstacles for BIPOC individuals looking to find encouraging spaces in which to begin their climbing journey. Salt Lake City’s Color the Wasatch hopes to overcome this barrier.

Carlos Vizcarra, Organizer and Communications/Marketing Representative for CTW, explains that this nonprofit is more than a climbing group. Created amid the BLM movement during the COVID-19 pandemic, CTW was founded out of a desire to create a space for people of color in the world of climbing. Inclusivity, as well as accessibility, are at the forefront of their mission.

“There’s a cultural block, and that’s something I am passionate about trying to break,” says Vizcarra. Being Latin American, Vizcarra shares his experience with members of his community feeling hesitant to try climbing because it can be seen as “too white,” he says. “For some, it’s almost seen as a betrayal of what our culture is.” He hopes to change the perception of this by getting more people of color into climbing gyms and outdoor spaces. Vizcarra envisions a future where people of color can simply enjoy the sport and feel comfortable in their participation.

“We understand that for many of our members, climbing isn’t their whole identity. For some people, it’s the only time in the week where they get to hang out with people of color.”

Vizcarra and the other CTW coordinators continue to break stereotypes and lead by example. The group organizes bi-weekly climbing nights at local gyms, including The Front and Bouldering Project. CTW encourages climbers of all skill levels, from brand new to experienced, to join. The group also recognizes the financial burden of climbing. The expensive gym memberships associated with the sport and the equipment necessary for safe climbing can often limit people’s accessibility. The group helps to offset members’ costs by working with affinity groups and various sponsors to co-host free events and offer reduced prices on gym passes.

CTW is constantly looking for new ways to engage its members through climbing. The group recently made a trip to Zion National Park for outdoor climbing and hiking. “It was honestly one of the most fulfilling things I have done,” says Vizcarra. For some of the group’s members, this was the first time they had visited Southern Utah or were able to climb outside. “This summer, we’re hoping to plan one or two outdoor climbing events in the Cottonwoods, as well,” says Vizcarra.

The group also organizes occasional social events and clinics such as their recent Spring Picnic, where members gathered to enjoy a barbecue cookout as well as play tennis and basketball. At their Personal Finance Clinic in May, CTW addressed issues of systemic oppression by promoting members’ financial literacy, covering topics like budgeting and investing. CTW is a group created with climbing at its center, but its main focus is to foster community and connections between its members. “We understand that for many of our members, climbing isn’t their whole identity,” says Vizcarra. “For some people, it’s the only time in the week where they get to hang out with people of color.”

“There’s a cultural block, and that’s something I am passionate about trying to break.”

Reflecting on memories of the first CTW event he attended, Vizcarra says, “I remember thinking it was so dope seeing people of color climbing! I also remember being a little intimidated, but the organizers were so great at making everyone feel welcomed.” Today, Vizcarra says that the members of CTW feel like family: “Each one of the co-organizers has become a close and important part of my life.”

To find information about upcoming events, join the CTW community, or make donations, visit Color the Wasatch’s Instagram @colorthewasatch.

Read more about inclusive groups that prioritize diversity:
Salt Lake Area Queer Climbers: Re-Defining What It Means to Take Up [Outdoor] Space
Nuanua Collective Creates an Ocean of Opportunities for LGBTQ+ Pacific Islanders