Fourteen-year-old Utah native Elizabeth Ssejinja created Lavender Lathers to make homemade soap after being diagnosed with cancer in 2018.

Lavender Lathers: Craft Lake City Kid Row Artisan

Shop Local

After pioneering the virtual festival format for the 2020 DIY Festival, Craft Lake City is making their exciting return to the Utah State Fairpark for the 13th Annual DIY Festival Presented By Harmons. The 2021 Festival features the largest offering yet of artisans, craft foodies, performers and much more. Read about some of the fantastic Utah DIY-ers participating at this year’s festival in the following pages, and head to craftlakecity.com for more information on the 13th Annual DIY Festival.

The ingredients in Elizabeth Ssejinja's Lavender Lathers soap come from a variety of glycerin bases like goat milk, lavender, shea butter, honey and plain glycerin.
Photo: John Barkiple

Lavender Lathers was established by 14-year-old Utah native Elizabeth Ssejinja. After Ssejinja was diagnosed with cancer in 2018, her family began to create homemade gifts for each other. “I decided to make soap. [I then] decided to make soap to raise money to give back to the charities that did so much to support me,” she says. Ssejinja learned to make soap from pure experimentation. “I experimented [with] melting shavings from other bars of soap, but it didn’t work,” she says. “So, I bought glycerin soap, molds, colorants and started learning from there.”

The ingredients in her soap come from a variety of glycerin bases like goat milk, lavender, shea butter, honey and plain glycerin. Additionally, Ssejinja also adds essential oils and safe colorants. Her supply of assortments is quite endearing, too. “I have nearly a hundred different scents and over 40 molds,” she says. Scented or unscented tie-dye mixes and soaps with small toys or necklaces inside are all available for purchase. What makes this business truly altruistic is the fact that Ssejinja gives back to her community by supporting charities such as Make-A-Wish and Ronald McDonald House. She says, “I feel it’s necessary to give back as often as I can … To show my appreciation for the support I received when I was sick with cancer.” A true giver, Ssejinja’s plans are to continue to find more charities and participate in markets and fundraisers. For more info, check out her Instagram page, @lavenderlathers. –Kassidy Waddell