David Jimenez holds up a tasting glass and looks at the camera. A microphone encroaches out of frame, near his head. He has a pensive look with one eyebrow raised. Photo: John Barkiple

David Jimenez & Tastemasters: Crafting Conversations

Beer & Spirits

David Jimenez is recording an episode with a guest from Mountain West Brewery. Photo: John Barkiple
Interpreting, evaluating and complaining about the numerous liquor laws in Utah has also become a big part of the Tastemasters podcast. Photo: John Barkiple

David Jimenez didn’t always expect to end up in the world of artisan beers and podcasting. For years, he worked as a bartender at the Sundance Resort selling domestic beers such as Budweiser and Coors Light. In 2016, Strap Tank, Utah County’s first and only brewery since before prohibition, invited Jimenez to help open a bar at their new Lehi location. As he saw all the unique blends and flavors that the brewers were using, Jimenez realized that beer isn’t just a drink—it’s a craft. Fascinated by this discovery, he not only wanted to learn more about brewing but wanted to make a podcast about it. Since January 2020, he has hosted and produced Tastemasters, Utah’s most popular beer and fermentation podcast.

Over three years and more than 160 episodes, Tastemasters has evolved and succeeded as it reached ears in and around Utah. As much as it has grown, Jimenez says the goal of the podcast has remained the same. “What I do is try to showcase artists within local craft beer, craft spirits and anything fermentation in Utah,” he explains. However, he admits that interpreting, evaluating and complaining about the numerous liquor laws in Utah has also become a big part of the show. “Making alcohol in Utah—that’s a pain in the ass,” he says. “I want to help be a mouthpiece for these brewers.”

“I like to meet the individual, look them in the eye and be like, ‘Hey, this is my spirit, my soul.'”

Jimenez learned the art of interviewing from his grandfather, who was a journalist. He learned how to ask questions, listen and bring a human element to his interviews. “He taught me to be real, to be friends [with the interviewee],” Jiminez says. Now, before he invites a guest on the show, he likes to befriend and get to know them. For him, befriending a subject leads to a better interview. “I like to meet the individual, look them in the eye and be like, ‘Hey, this is my spirit, my soul,’” he says.

David Jimenez smiles at a table during a recording of Tastemasters. Several glasses and a beer bottle foreground him. Photo: John Barkiple
Interviewing subjects outside of the world of beer helps Jimenez to expand his listenership and further evolve the podcast. Photo: John Barkiple

Looking over Tastemasters’ growing catalog of episodes, Jimenez has hosted some big guests from the Utah beer scene. For the show’s 100th episode, he hosted Kevin Templin of T.F. Brewing. “Kevin Templin is a big name,” he says. “He’s one of the heavy hitters in Utah. Everyone knows about T.F.” He has also hosted Andrew Tendick, owner of Proper Brewing Co.; Tanner Lenart, Utah’s liquor lawyer; and Utah’s chapter of the Pink Boots Society, an association of women brewers. However, he says his favorite episodes are with people who are less known in the industry but remain a big part of Utah beer. “People that are behind the scenes that no one talks about,” he says, “those are big episodes.”

It’s not just people in the world of beer and liquor who’ve graced the show: He has also hosted coffeemakers, farmers, people who work in IV therapy and other podcasters, including Chris Holifield, host of the I Am Salt Lake podcast. Interviewing subjects outside of the world of beer helps Jimenez to expand his listenership and further evolve the podcast.

“Making alcohol in Utah—that’s a pain in the ass. I want to help be a mouthpiece for these brewers.”

Jimenez hopes he can keep expanding and growing Tastemasters. He hopes to keep talking to people in different areas of fermentation, such as kombucha and hot sauce. He also wants to host new kinds of guests, including politicians and policymakers. “If I ever come and reach out to an individual, I’m just here to truly hear your story,” he says. “So, don’t be afraid to come on or have a conversation with me.”

You can listen to Tastemasters anywhere podcasts are available, and be sure to follow the podcast on Instagram @the_tastemasters. The podcast also has merchandise and a full catalog of its episodes available on its website, tastemastersdrink.com.

Read more on local podcasts:
In a Van Down by the Railroad Tracks: Van Sessions Podcast
Moving Past Metaphor: Literally Podcast