Acacia Ridge released three singles in the lead up to their debut album, Watch Your Monarchs Fall. The group spent New Year’s 2019 texting everyone they even remotely knew, asking them to spend just 30 seconds checking out the first single, “Malevolence”. It paid off: within a month the track garnered 100,000 streams on Spotify, and that success paved the strategy for the band’s self-marketing going forward. Now with over half a million streams on the service, lead vocalist Christian Mayfield talks about not only what went into Watch Your Monarchs Fall and the formation of Acacia Ridge, but also the way they’ve managed to successfully navigate the opaque waters of Spotify’s algorithmic promotion.
Thanks for listening to SLUG Mag Soundwaves.
- This podcast was created by SLUG Magazine and produced by Angela H. Brown, Parker Scott Mortensen
- Associate Producers: Alexander Ortega, Joshua Joye, John Ford, Bianca Velasquez, Connor Lockie
- Executive Producer: Angela H. Brown
- Music by Acacia Ridge
- Soundwaves logo and art design by Nicholas Dowd
- Photo courtesy of Christian Mayfield