Episode #129 – Cam Pierce, Rotten Musicians, Mic Masters Alliance, Ben Q. Best/Karl Jorgensen, The Kid Labs
[Posted December 23, 2013]
The snow is still falling outside, so put a little rum in your ‘nog and let Dan Nailen and our guests keep you company with Episode 129 of Soundwaves.
– Even as a young, East Coast greenhorn Cam Pierce wanted to go pro and now that he’s made it he is still driven to learn more and continually evolve as a snowboarder. Cam shares his story and explains why he doesn’t like to stick to a certain style, but prefers to dabble in the many outlets that the industry has presented him with.
– At first you might ask, “What in the fuck are the Rotten Musicians talking about?” Science, video games and other concepts, baby girl. This three-piece nerd rap group will instill knowledge via hot fire spit from their educated lips over funky, philosophical beats in their track “eGGsheLLs” on Episode 129 of Soundwaves.
– Hip-hop musicians, lyricists and rhymers have been a part of the Mic Masters Alliance since its establishment in September of 2011. This group brings together local and regional emcees and gives them the opportunity to exhibit the power and complexity of spoken word through competitive rap battles.
– Sounding like it could be straight from the soundtrack of an 80s era video game, “Endgame” is a trippy, run and gun romp through the electronic genre. Utah County based producers Ben Q. Best and Karl Jorgensen have been hard at work creating a minimalist, analog blend of tunes that they recently released on Jorgensen’s label, Hel Audio.
– The Kid Labs have been very busy creating a place for parents and their children to put aside the hustle of everyday life to come together and learn. Founder, John Hansen speaks on his organization and how it is working to create a place to hold community events that will benefit kids and families in the surrounding area while exposing them to the many forms art and expression that are found right here in the Valley.
Episode #47 – BEAU, I Am The Ocean, Audrey Newhouse, Rotten Musicians, Incredibly Strange Movie Night
[Posted May 28, 2012]
This week, our fearless host, JP, sits down with Rando Schmook from BEAU (Broadview Entertainment Arts University) about his career in cinema and the college; SLUG writer Amanda Nurre talks to artist Audrey Newhouse about her exhibition at Whole Foods; and SLUG writer Cody Kirkland gets the scoop on the Lost Media Archive and Incredibly Strange Movie Night. Plus, new music from post-hardcore band I Am The Ocean and geek-rappers Rotten Musicians. What are some of your favorite vegan spots from around town? Do you have a favorite vegan dish you must have every day? Call our automated voicemail line at 858-233-9324 and tell us your favorite vegan thing in SLC for our next Yelp segment. You may get played on the show! … read more
[Posted August 8, 2011]
Gavin Hoffman interviews heavy rock duo Eagle Twin, an archival interview with Craft Lake City artist Tommy Dolph from Jeanette Moses, Esther MeroÃ±o interviews CLC artist Bekah Long, and music from upcoming Localized performer Dusk One and Rotten Musicians. Remember to call our automated voicemail line, 858-233-9324! … read more