Review: Percy Gloom

Review: Percy Gloom
By

Percy Gloom Cathy Malkasian Fantagraphics Books Street: 06.21 Percy Gloom was written by Cathy Malkasian whose previous work as an animator includes the shows Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys Movie. Her leap from animation to the graphic novel form (especially from those quirky kids’ shows) is not a far cry from her previous work. Percy

Review: MOME

Review: MOME
By

MOME Various Artists Fantagraphics Books Street: 05.22 MOME follows in the fine footsteps of other anthologies and quarterlies of this century (ex. McSweeney’s) by showcasing first-rate up-and-coming artists, writers, etc. The comics represented here range from self-conscious absurd dream narratives to the surreal pop panel to an extended meditation on depression and comic book creators.

Review: House

Review: House
By

House Josh Simmons Fantagraphics Books Street: 03.07 House eerily recalls Mark Z. Danielewski’s House of Leaves, not so much in its complex storytelling but in its scary incompleteness. House leaves more questions open then it answers. The story is about a mansion three kids find in the woods that they decide to go exploring in.

Review: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Review: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
By

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl GSC Game World/THQ PC Street 03.20 Before you read the rest of this review I have a confession to make; I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Indeed, the first person shooter (FPS) games are my favorites to play and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. manages to scratch my every itch. I admit that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does have its share

Review: Dead Rising

Review: Dead Rising
By

Dead Rising Capcom Reviewed On: Xbox 360 Street: 08.06 Dead Rising takes a very simple and enjoyable activity (killing the undead) and takes it to the outer limits of acceptability. There’s so much killing of the undead in Dead Rising that there is very little room for anything else, like a good plot or memorable

Review: Cube

Review: Cube
By

Cube Metia Interactive Reviewed On: PSP Street: 04.30 It’s going to be hard for me to review Cube, the new portable puzzle plaything from Metia Interactive without mentioning Mercury Meltdown, a recent puzzler from Ignition Entertainment because so many of the ideas are the same. Each game is divided into dozens of mini-puzzles which are

Review: Vic Damone: On the Street Where You Live

Review: Vic Damone: On the Street Where You Live
By

Vic Damone: On the Street Where You Live MVD Street: 06.05 I don’t know much about crooner Vic Damone and I don’t much care, but I do know that the sound engineer for this performance and the guy who mastered the DVD are incompetent assholes. That said, the shitty sound quality of this disc is

Review: Le Petit Lieutenant

Review: Le Petit Lieutenant
By

Le Petit Lieutenant Xavier Beauvois Koch Lorber Films Street: 04.17 The police crime genre is one that is inundated with small variations on ultimately similar stories. A rookie cop is usually a prime main character, said rookie cop is a standout of his class, an out of the ordinary crime occurs and the rookie cop

Review: La Belle Captive

Review: La Belle Captive
By

La Belle Captive Alain Robbe-Grillet Koch Lorber Street: 03.13 Watch out movie fans, any distribution company with the word “Lorber” in it, is bound not to be technically up to par, and this DVD is no exception. La Belle Captive is one of Alain Robbe-Grillet’s later works that seems to recapitulate themes from some of his

Review: The Films of Kenneth Anger: Volume One

Review: The Films of Kenneth Anger: Volume One
By

The Films of Kenneth Anger: Volume One Kenneth Anger Fantoma Street: 01.23 Finally the films of Kenneth Anger are being restored, and restored beautifully at that. Forever (literally), Anger’s films have been out-of-print due to copyright issues concerning pop songs in his films. Anger’s influence stems from his idiosyncratic vision and inspiration to combine stylistic,