Hot Wheels: Roller Derby in the Beehive State

Hot Wheels: Roller Derby in the Beehive State
By

Along the Wasatch Front, Women’s flat track roller derby is beginning to coalesce into a sizably enthusiastic culture of punk and metal loving babes who find an outlet in taking names and kicking ass.  … read more

Dear Dickheads – June 2007

Dear Dickheads – June 2007
By

You can bet your next Mike Brown column on the fact that every visitor for the next fifty years will base their perceptions on four square blocks of Big Love. … read more

FROM THE DESK OF: RUSTY SHACKLEFORD

FROM THE DESK OF: RUSTY SHACKLEFORD
By

To whom it may concern, I am writing this letter because of your lack of responsibility as a news publication. Yesterday as I was on my way home, traveling westbound on 300 South, I almost hit one of those crazy youngins. He was riding his toy right down the middle of the street, where us

Review: The Best of Barbara Mandrell & the Mandrell Sisters

Review: The Best of Barbara Mandrell & the Mandrell Sisters
By

The Best of Barbara Mandrell & the Mandrell Sisters Sid and Mary Krafft Time Life Street: 05.01 The 1980s were hard times for TV variety shows. The genre was big in the early years of television, as carnies and vaudevillians made the jump from the stage to the small screen. Several decades later we were

Review: nEuROTIC

Review: nEuROTIC
By

In nEuROTIC, John Cuneo focuses on just that in his work: the sexual, the erotic. His style is a perversely humorous, other-wordly and an exotic sketchbook that aptly illustrates the connection between human sexuality and the surreal. … read more

Review: Krazy & Ignatz 1939–1940: A Brick Stuffed with Moom-Bims

Review: Krazy & Ignatz 1939–1940: A Brick Stuffed with Moom-Bims
By

Krazy & Ignatz 1939–1940: A Brick Stuffed with Moom-Bims George Herriman Fantagraphic Books Street: 03.28 E.E. Cummings was a big fan; Michael Stipe of R.E.M. has a tattoo of the crazy couple and famed cartonists Will Eisner and Bill Watterson both cite Krazy Kat as an influence on their work. It is rare that an

Review: African Psycho

Review: African Psycho
By

African Psycho Alain Mabanckou Soft Skull Press Street: 03.01 The story of Gregoire Nakobomayo, a would-be serial killer, had the potential to be good. Sadly, African Psycho falls flat. Gregoire’s character lacks depth. He wants to carry out the legacy of his idol, the accomplished serial killer, Angoualime, but the story goes no farther to

John Peter Lewis

John Peter Lewis
By

It seems that for the past while now, if some lame band or shitty recording ‘artist’ contacts SLUG and requests an interview and they don’t really want to do the interview, somehow that interview gets offered up to me. Case in point, Lisa Loeb. Why Lisa Loeb’s manager would think it would be a good