Sun Up to Sun Down with Austin Namba

Sun Up to Sun Down with Austin Namba
By

“I don’t drink, don’t smoke, just skate, there is nothing better then skating,” says Austin Namba. Namba is one of those skaters out there that can do every trick flawlessly. He is one of the most down to earth chill people you could meet, always down to skate, keeping it low key and mellow. His

Random News From the Skate World

Random News From the Skate World
By

The Mystery/Zero squads rolled through town in late June to premiere the latest, I mean first, Mystery video. They did a demo and set up portable screen at South Jordan Skate Park. I heard a whole lot of tricks went down both live and on the screen. Dennis Durrant from Australia now rides for the

Dropping The “B” Word

Dropping The “B” Word
By

Today Led Zeppelin is used to pander anything from gas-efficient vehicles to moisturizing dish soap. Bubble-punk pink-panthers penetrate the airwaves. Poster art papers our museums. Postmodernism, of course, celebrates this apparent death of cultural elitism. But is there something to be mourned in the passing of Fine Art, in the replacement of “authentic” artworks by

The Inversion Trawler: Ms. Leona Dripdry

The Inversion Trawler: Ms. Leona Dripdry
By

We have an aunt, Ms. Leona Dripdry. She’s somewhere in middle age but somehow stuck on planet teen. It’s not that she’s all immature and awkward or anything, she’s actually really on top of things, with poise, grace and a retarded sort of glamour. It’s just that she seems to prefer the company of teenagers, the more

How to Run Away From Home

How to Run Away From Home
By

I’ve been writing a lot of articles for grown-ups lately like the controversial John Amichi interview to the history of drinking in Utah. It’s time I do my part and write something for the kids … like a how-to article on how to run away from home. I figure that if some kid needs to

Dear Dickheads – August 2007

Dear Dickheads – August 2007
By

Fuck Corgan and his Smashing Pumpkins; they only made two good records anyway. … read more

Review: You’re Gonna Miss Me: A Film About Roky Erickson

Review: You’re Gonna Miss Me: A Film About Roky Erickson
By

You’re Gonna Miss Me: A Film About Roky Erickson Keven McAlester Palm Pictures Street 07.10 At this point, Roky Erickson is almost as famous for his heroin and LSD binges as he is for his mid-60s work with the 13th Floor Elevators. When the Texas-based psychedelic band relocated to the west coast, Erickson didn’t adapt

Review: The War Tapes

Review: The War Tapes
By

The War Tapes Deborah Scranton Docurama Films Street: 05.15 Presented by actual soldiers on the front line, The War Tapes does an excellent job bringing out some of the truly gruesome details of the Iraqi War. Showing actual footage of anything from soldiers being shot and killed by enemy fire, to car bombs, to Iraqi

Review: Violette

Review: Violette
By

Violette Claude Chabrol Koch Lorber Street: 05.08 This re-release of the 1978 French film Violette Noziere leaves many questions unanswered. This is the story of you average rebellious teen girl, hanging out with the wrong crowd, smoking and drinking and catching syphilis like all kids do when they’re young. What makes this story different is