Who’s That Dude?: An Interview with Andrew Wilson

Who’s That Dude?: An Interview with Andrew Wilson
By

I’ve been doing it for this long because I love it. Skating is so huge now that it seems like lots of kids get into it just for sponsors and the hope of turning pro when they should just enjoy it for what it is. Getting hooked up is cool, but it should never influence why you skate. … read more

What Once Was Sweet: Tearing Apart Sugarhouse

What Once Was Sweet: Tearing Apart Sugarhouse
By

Sugarhouse has been among the most eclectic communities that Utah has to offer. Over the years skaters, soapbox philosophers, college professors, punks, metal heads, tech savvy geeks, pseudo intellectuals, artists, vagrants, goths, rude boys and girls and the occasional hip hop aficionado peaceably mingled in the vast array of locally owned and operated shops. If

Summer of Death: Contest for Pussies!

Summer of Death: Contest for Pussies!
By

SLUG Mag’s first contest in the Summer of Death series was held on Saturday, June 16, at the recently opened Union Board Shop in Sandy. The theme for this contest was a contest for pussies (the kitty kind, you pervert). And to make it even better it was free. … read more

Skate Product Reviews – July 2007

Skate Product Reviews – July 2007
By

Reviews for Playmobil skatepark, Pig wheels and Matix/DVS.   … read more

Strange Books and Found Sounds: Red Light Bookstore

Strange Books and Found Sounds: Red Light Bookstore
By

As Sugarhouse slowly devolves into corporate strip malls, ultimately pushing the small business owners out, many patrons of the area are already looking for an alternative free market. On March 1, 2007, Red Light Books was established in a small and uniquely artistic area near the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. While you might

Random News From the Skate World

Random News From the Skate World
By

It’s getting hot up in this piece as of lately and there is a lot of shit to talk about. First and foremost, our best wishes go out to Jason “Jersey” Taylor who is having some medical problems. Get well brother and give a Mexican a call. Congratulations again to Mark White and Tennile Petty,

A Short History of Drinking in Utah

A Short History of Drinking in Utah
By

Every profession has their masters. These people are good at what they do; they’re well respected within their professions by their peers. And sometimes these people leave behind a legacy. “Karen” is one such person in the profession of getting people wasted, more commonly known as bartending. I’ve been learning the trade myself and I

The Attack of the Ponytail Snatchers

The Attack of the Ponytail Snatchers
By

The cheerleading squad never saw it coming. They never saw it leaving either. Every ponytail snatched, cut off at the rubber band, not a single hair left behind. It all happened so quickly too. It was just a swish hiss sound, a breeze, and a sudden lighter feeling to the head. So I was told

The Family That Kilby Built

The Family That Kilby Built
By

Anyone who has grown up in Salt Lake City and started going to shows at a young age knows that Salt Lake’s all-ages venue options have always been limited. Stereotypically, all-ages venues come and go every few months to every few years for numerous reasons, which is also a nationwide trend. The staying power of

Review: Percy Gloom

Review: Percy Gloom
By

Percy Gloom Cathy Malkasian Fantagraphics Books Street: 06.21 Percy Gloom was written by Cathy Malkasian whose previous work as an animator includes the shows Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys Movie. Her leap from animation to the graphic novel form (especially from those quirky kids’ shows) is not a far cry from her previous work. Percy